A record of my life updated at random times and for random reasons.

Friday, February 20, 2009

The Event

At noon today I pick up my question and begin the final major exercise of the program. By Monday at noon, I will have completed my program. Well, there are a few small things left, like a 20 page paper in the one class I am taking and a few poems in the workshop.

How much can one write in three days? I think there is a novel writing contest that happens over the labor day weekend, so one might say one could write a little bit. Anyway, my weekend shall be invested in the exam. I am actually looking forward to this.

My defense went well Monday, but you already know that. The process was simple, I walked in, I read for ten, I answered some questions, I stepped out, I stepped in, I passed, I walked out, went across the street and picked up some channa masala to celebrate, I came home, I ate, I slept. In many ways, it has seemed anticlimactic. All those expectations and fears wrapped up in one small event, and then it's over and now what? As Carol says, I am nearly an official poet, but I don't know what that means/entails/is.

On the upside, it is going to be bitterly cold this weekend so I won't feel guilty for hiding inside.

I will see you all on the other side of Monday. Have a good weekend.

No comments: