A record of my life updated at random times and for random reasons.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

The day after

Yesterday was a breeze, but a long windy one. I left home at 7 and returned around 4 (earlier than expected). The day long class was pretty much what I expected, lots of boring stuff, interspersed with some interesting stuff. A lot of what they were talking about was logistical: how to access the class site, where to find assignments, etc. etc. Some of the info was about the assignments and their order. The library sent a person who spent an hour talking about their site, but it was no more complicated than the talk I gave my students about NCSU's library. In other words, I found her talk quite boring, and in places erroneous. But, the age and skill range in the class is quite varied, from clearly retired (70 something), to still in undergraduate work. Though the ones at both extremes was limited. Most of the students were in their mid to late 20's early 30's.

Friday night Carol and I took a drive and found the building (thanks gps!) so I was confident yesterday morning that I could find the place without any problems, and I did. The class room where they held the class was easy to find, though poorly numbered. Some grad students were stationed outside the door directing us poor lost souls into the room. The room itself was large (class has 230 students registered apparently), and as the day wore on, very cold. By lunch time I was shivering, by the time I left, I had my sleeves rolled down and my arms tucked as close to my body as possible. It felt great walking outside into the warm air.

When I entered the room there were a fair number of students near the back and spattered around the middle. The two front rows of tables were both empty, and I, bravely, selected one right up front and facing the big screen. As a small note of triumph over my sa, in the afternoon I had to make use of the facilities. I walked out of the room, down the middle aisle, and had no sense of being self-conscious. Not long ago, I would not have been able to do that, so I guess I am still getting better.

The course itself is quite basic, but it should make a great introduction to the program and the profession. I don't forsee myself having any difficulty with the material. Any problem I might have will be with scheduling,but I have begun a calendar,so I have hopes that I will be able to stay on top of things.

It is a beautiful morning, 75, a bit o a breeze, some clouds and sun. Great morning to relax in the back yard.

I am glad I did not sign up for the online 5600 course. They are meeting for the next three days in the same room I spent all of yesterday. They will meet from 8-5 all three of those days. blech.

My second masters has begun. All I am waiting on right now is funding, and I hope to have that cleared up next week. And yes, waiting for the money is stressful and worrying me a little.

No comments: