A record of my life updated at random times and for random reasons.

Monday, August 17, 2009

On the shortness of summer

It is a beautiful morning. No clouds, a light breeze, a few small birds speaking to each other,and distant traffic. I do not know where the mocking bird has gone, but I have not seen him around lately. Maybe he got mated up and no longer needs to brag? It is a pleasure to sit out back with all the plants growing and looking healthy. I tossed the two geraniums that were dying/dead and in the process figured out why they were dying. The soil they were in was sopping wet. Too much water and the roots rotted even though the top of the soil was dry and the plants showed heat stress in the hot part of the day. I replaced them with some more purslane, which has been very successful so far. The lantana has taken of and is attracting hummingbirds and butterflies. My hydrangea is setting itself well into its hard soil, so I have hopes it might bloom next spring. I think most of the plants, with the exception previously noted, and some herbs, have done well. I am learning their likes and dislikes, so that helps as well. Even the little baby rosemary I bought at the farmers market has tripled in size.

I have mostly decided on UNT for this fall. Unless something changes, that is where I will be studying in a few days. Which is the lead into the post heading. It does not seem that long since we arrived here, though careful counting suggests 10 weeks or so. It just does not seem that long.

Carol and I went for a tour of Texas yesterday morning. Had a look at the local lake, or part of it at least. TX still looks like southern Alberta in many ways.

Denton feels less alien now. I was heading to petsmart yesterday morning, enjoying the warm sun, feeling comfortable driving, knowing where I was going, where to turn, etc. etc. It is not "home" yet, but I am feeling comfortable here.

No comments: