A record of my life updated at random times and for random reasons.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The last few weeks have been filled with outdoor stuff. My garden is looking like a garden now. I think I have planted everything I will plant for the spring. Some of it is not likely to survive the heat of the summer (parsley, cilantro, broccoli, radishes, tomatoes, peppers), ok, so that seems like most of it. However, I have had a lot of fun going out twice a day to look at the garden. I am sure that the novelty will wear off soon enough, but for now it is fun. The best part of the raised beds that I have built is that there are no weeds yet. I suspect they will arrive soon enough as seeds from weeds land on the soil and begin to grow, but compared to the farm this is a delight to work with. Today I need to go out and finish putting some netting over the garden to discourage grackles from consuming all my tomatoes and such like.

Yesterday we had a freezer delivered. It is a 7 cu ft version and appears to be the ideal size for us. We can put our frozen veggies into it and still have room for ice in our in-house fridge/freezer. I also picked up some shelving from Lowes, and I hope to get the garage sorted out a little better than it currently is. At the moment it is a complete mess. Ahh, the pleasures of spring organizing.

Monday I hurt my left foot while mowing down the weeds in the front and back yards. It has only been two weeks or so since I last mowed the darn things, but they grow so quickly,and our lawn is nothing but weeds so it looks bad quickly. My foot is improving, but still hurts a little. A stretched tendon or something I suspect. It has been a high injury month for me. Cut the tip of one finger with a mandoline and a thumb with a knife while slicing onions. Everything heals nicely though.

The Bradford Pear across the street is going from white to green. One of the nicest views in early spring are these trees. A photo of them in full bloom can be found here. The dogwoods are blooming out in the wild as well. It is quite pleasant to be driving along and seeing the splash of flowering white in the bush.

I am in the midst of spring break at the moment, which is a little scary as it means the semester is nearly half over! Soon I will have completed my first year of library school!

Carol and I had our first pickup from a local veggie coop. It comes from a religious based organization and offers a bunch of veggies and, if we ate it, cow flesh etc. I have not found the people involved to be all that welcoming, and I am not sure the hamper we relieved is really worth the money paid. We are going to persist for a little while to see if things improve.

My trip to the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens was fun. I was a little disappointed in the gardens themselves as they do not measure up to the quality that was present in Raleigh and area. Heck, they don't even have a catalpa :). It is quite small. I did enjoy my walk, and the tulip trees, but I still miss the Raleigh arboretum. I may try out the Dallas gardens one of these days...

I am also thinking about checking out state parks. I would like to get a feel for the area that I was unable to get in NC. I think there are quite a few within a two-hour drive that I could check out. Make for a nice outing some days and maybe give me some exercise.

No comments: